WHO WE ARE
The United Nations (UN) is an international organization founded in 1945. After the Second World War 51 countries committed to maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations and promoting social progress, better living standards and human rights.
PURPOSE OF THE UN
The United Nations has four (4) main purposes:
- To keep peace throughout the world;
- To develop friendly relations among nations;
- To help nations work together to improve the lives of poor people, to conquer hunger; disease and illiteracy, and to encourage respect for each other’s rights and freedoms;
- To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations to achieve these goals.
UN IN GUYANA
In Guyana, the United Nations System has been operating for over 45 years. The UN is headed by the Resident Coordinator (RC), who also serves as the Resident Representative (RR) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The RC is the designated representative of the UN Secretary-General.
The United Nations Country Team (UNCT) encompasses all the entities of the UN system that carry out operational activities for development. The UNCT ensures inter-agency coordination and decision-making at the country level. The main purpose of the Country Team is for individual agencies to plan and work together to support the development of the Government and people of Guyana.
This agenda is supported via the work of offices, which are located in country and non-resident offices.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO)
- United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS (UNAIDS)
- International Labour Organization (ILO) Decent Work Team and Office for the Caribbean - Trinidad
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Regional Office for Central America and the Caribbean in Panama (UNODC ROPAN)
- UN Women Multi - Country Office – Caribbean - Barbados
- United Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture (UNESCO) Kingston
Office - Jamaica
- United Nations Information Center for the Caribbean Area (UNIC) – Trinidad and Tobago
WHAT WE DO IN GUYANA
The UN works closely with the Government of Guyana and other partners to fulfill its mandate as outlined in the joint cooperation agreement - United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) - which started in 2012 and will end in 2016. The main outcomes of the UNDAF are:
- Environment and Sustainable Development
- Inclusive Growth
- Inclusive Governance
- Human and Social Development