Title: Operations Assistant (Open only to nationals of Guyana)
Job ID: 13790
Practice Area - Job Family: Management - OPERATIONS
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 11/01/2018
Duty Station: Georgetown (GUY), Guyana
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent - 5 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 2 year(s) experience
Languages: Required/Desired: English
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Under the overall guidance secondary supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR) and day to day and principal supervision of the Operations Analyst, the Operations Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard travel and administrative processes, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Operations Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Operations Assistant supervises the drivers and works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the Country Office (CO), Regional Hub and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the DRR’s office & Operations unit
- Support to administrative and logistical services
- Support to office maintenance and assets control
- Supports travel management processes for CO
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Other duties, as assigned
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the DRR’s office & operations unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings for the DRR, and taking minutes at meetings.
- Compilation and preparation of background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
- Monitoring meeting boards for operations unit.
- Support the arrangement of events and conferences; any other tasks as requested by the DRR.
Ensures effective administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Take meeting minutes when requested, mainly for the Operations Team
- Liaise closely with staff responsible for managing receipt of letters, e-mail, facsimile messages and documents in the diplomatic pouch.
- Scans documents for input on computer and where necessary, dispatches same to assigned staff; responds to queries relating the incoming correspondence;
- Ensures accurate filing of correspondence. Opens new subject files as required;
- Finalizes contract files, stores closed files in Archives and disposes of dead ones;
- Issue items required for the efficient functioning of the office and maintain records of same;
- Store and retrieve data and information and prepare reports as requested by DRR and Operations Analyst;
- Logistical support to missions and staff travel;
- Supervision of drivers’ services.
Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Provision of support to maintenance of premises and services
- Monitoring maintenance needs of the CO and following-up to ensure matters/issues are addressed.
Supports travel management processes for CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Processing of Purchase orders for travel and procurement in Atlas (UNDP ERP).
- Ensures availability of budget according to COA.
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the travel services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Follow-up with contracted travel agent to ensure provision of high quality professional service and most competitive price.
- Provision of information to the staff on travel including entitlements, travel route and hotel arrangement.
- Arrangements for security clearance when required.
- Processing travel authorization and travel claims in line with travel entitlements for staff, consultants, UN and visitors, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices.
- Hotel reservations for visiting UN/UNDP officials.
- Arrangement for airport pick-up of high-level officials and support to expediting of customs and immigration procedures, as necessary.
- Maintenance of log for travel refunds and follow up with travel provider on refunds
- Maintenance of log for travel complaints
- Assist the procurement and travel unit with travel audits
- Conduct smaller value procurement.
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice and at meetings
Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate UN values and principles and application of UNDP corporate procedures
- Ability to communicate in the team, including the ability to receive feedback and self-reflect for self-improvement
- Initiative-taking and proactive research and outreach
- Ability to work collaboratively with supervisors, colleagues and external partners in fostering cooperation and synergy, resolving problems, and preventing and managing conflict
- Ability to work in situations of complexity, uncertainty and adversity
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Attention to detail in reviewing and producing accurate and quality data and information
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable.
- UNDP Procurement Certification programme is desirable but not a requirement.
- Five (5) years of relevant experience in administration or programme support services
- Two (2) years of relevant experience will suffice if in possession of a Bachelor’s degree;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in managing meeting calendar and handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English.
- Other UN language would be desirable.
To apply, please visit here.